What foods should be part of a healthy plate?
Our diet is worsening so much and the supply of trash food (over salted, over-fated and over sweetened) is so wide that we must make a huge effort to learn back and recognized healthy foodstuff. What kind of food should we choose for a healthy place?
The combination of moderate physical activity, such as walking 30 minutes daily, with a healthy diet (low in sugars and fats) are essential guidelines for preventing type 2 diabetes. The Harvard “Healthy Eating Plate” method is an effective tool for creating a healthy diet pattern.
Use the Healthy Eating Plate as a guide for creating healthy, balanced meals -whether served on a plate or packed in a lunch box.
Dividing our plate in quarters, the healthy eating plate should have:
- Half of our plate with vegetables (low carbohydrate ones) and fruits (in smaller quantities). The more veggies -and the greater variety- the better. Potatoes and French fries don´t count. Eat plenty fruits of all colors.
- A quarter with whole grains (like whole-wheat bread, whole-grain pasta, and brown rice). Limit refined grains (like white rice and white and white bread).
- And, for the last quarter healthy protein, choose fish, poultry, beans and nuts; limit red meat and cheese; avoid bacon, cold cuts, and other processed meats.
The Harvard Eating Plate method emphasis drinking water as main beverage, and states to use only healthy oils (like olive oil and canola oil). We recommend this post of nutritionist Juan Revenga in our blog. You´ll find deeply explanations of the nutrients in a healthy eating plate.
Vegetables, fruits, whole grains and proteins make up the healthy eating plate. Add water and a little physical activity to the equation and here we have the complete guidelines to prevent type 2 diabetes. Day-to-day stress and being in a continuous rush hinder healthy options, but, fortunately mobile applications like DIABETESprevent help you through eating patterns and motivates you to exercise for prevent type 2 diabetes.
Itziar M. Ceberio
Latest posts by Itziar M. Ceberio (see all)
- Why measuring glucose levels can prevent type 2 diabetes? - 1 August, 2017
- What foods should be part of a healthy plate? - 5 July, 2017
- Why does obesity produce type 2 diabetes? - 9 June, 2017