Two-way relationship between diabetes and COVID-19
Several studies in prestigious publications such as Jama, New England, Lancet, associate overweight and diabetes as a risk factor for Covid-19 severity and death: 35% of severe Covid-19 patients are type 2 diabetics.
Publications with thousands of patients hospitalized in New York or England maintain that overweight and obesity are determining factors in the fatal consequences of coronavirus.
- Richardson et al., JAMA 2020; 323(20):2052-2059
- Cariou et al., Diabetologia. 2020; 63(8):1500-1515
- Barron et al., Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020; 8 (10): 813–822
- Bode et al., åJ Diabetes Sci Technol.2020;14(4):813-821
In the other direction we have to consider that more than 10% of patients with COVID-19 have developed diabetes after suffering the coronavirus infection.
- Chee et al., Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2020; 164: 108166
- Li et al., Diabetes Obes Metab. 2020; 10.1111